I know I'm not the only person noticing inconsistencies in the description since it started
- Should we change the description of "Duplicate of"?
- Duplicate explanation should encourage improvement of original
yet our concerns are different, I'm not looking to necessarily change the description and, even if we decide to go that way, we're addressing different parts of the description.
When flagging a post as duplicate, we can read the following information in the description
This question has been asked before and already has an answer.
From this description a question that's older than a newer one and has an answer cannot be marked as duplicate, and we know from fact that's not true
- Old question marked as duplicate of a new question
- Which question is the better reference for a duplicate?
- Should I flag a question as duplicate if it has received better answers?
Accordingly to Shog9,
If the new question is a better question or has better answers, then vote to close the old one as a duplicate of the new one.
This saying, what Shog9 says can contradict what is present in the description.
What's right and what's wrong? Do we need to change the Duplicate flag description?