I wanted to share with you about who the people that work on our Community are, and how we are organized. For context, I am the head of Product, Community, Design and Engineering, a combined Chief Product and Technology Officer. I joined the company in mid January and report directly to Prashanth Chandrasekar, the CEO. Both of the following teams are members of the organization that I lead.
Our Community Team endeavors to ensure the wellbeing of our sites and that the needs of our users are heard. That means focusing on things like facilitating communication from our users to the company, and making sure our users are well aware of initiatives coming from inside Stack Overflow. We also are responsible for the trust and safety for our users, and supporting our moderators and curators.
The Community Team includes:
- Sara Chipps - Director of Community. Responsible for Community Strategy and Management.
- Juan M - Manager, Community Management
- Rosie - Manager, Community Management
- Ayo - Community Manager
- Catija - Community Manager
- Cesar M - Community Manager
- JNat - Community Manager
- Nicolas Chabanovsky - Community Manager
- Philippe - Community Manager
- Stephanie Cantor - Program Manager across Community
We have recently renamed the product development team that builds our public Stack Overflow and Stack Exchange sites to the Public Platform Team. You may see questions and/or answers from members of this team here and across the sites.
Our Public Platform Team includes:
- Des Darilek - Director of Product, Public Platform. Responsible for Product Management, Design, and User Research.
- Anita Taylor - Product Manager
- Brendan Cleary - Senior Product Manager
- Emma Zhu - Product Researcher
- Lisa Park - Product Designer
- Jon Chan - Team Lead for the Public Platform Engineering team
- Adam Lear - Tech Lead & Developer
- Brian Nickel - Developer
- Jane Willborn - Developer
- Kristina Lustig - Developer
- Kyle Pollard - Developer
- Yaakov Ellis - Developer (and Community Advocate)
Yaakov Ellis, a developer on the Public Platform Engineering team, has recently taken on an additional role as Community Advocate. He now spends approximately 25% of his time working on community projects including policy and communication. He also leads a group of employees throughout the company that are or have been active members of our community called the Community Members at Large. This team of about 10 are volunteers who care deeply about the community and provide feedback around policy and communications.
We have created a Community Leadership Team that works to coordinate and prioritize our policy, communications and work that impacts our community. The members include Sara, Juan, Yaakov, Des, Stephanie (who keeps everything on track) and me. We meet weekly to review all tasks on the Community pipeline, review deliverables, and discuss relevant priorities.
These teams work together to give feedback from different viewpoints with the goal of ensuring that we arrive at the best possible outcome and prevent avoidable mistakes. Depending on the nature of the policy, process or communication, it is reviewed and feedback is given by some or all of: the CLT, Community Managers, Community Members at Large, and the Moderator Council. Many important items are also previewed to the moderators (in their private Teams instance) before they are made public.
I hope this gives you some insights into who we are and how we work together. If you have questions or if there are any clarifications I can make, please put them in an answer and we’ll try to respond as best we can.