Joel keeps suggesting such a site in the SO podcast, and imho it would be a perfect fit for the platform. Apparently Jeff wants it to be part of superuser.com. Isn’t the gamers’ community large enough to deserve its own site?
I think it is worth remembering that having the site is only half the battle. Actually, I'm lying. Having the site is about 2% of the battle. Getting a critical mass of users is the other 98%.
In the case of StackOverflow, it was the combined (and separate) fame of Jeff and Joel that got the ball rolling; otherwise the site would have likely languished without enough quality questions and answers to get it going.
So, the question is not "Does the Gamers community deserve its own site?", but rather, who has enough credibility in the Gamer community to get a similar site going?
There is one now, it's called Arqade. You can find it at https://gaming.stackexchange.com/
I wouldn't expect to see one site for games - I'd expect to see specific sites for specific games, or at least genres.
I know one of the benefits of the SO model is that with tags you can sort of categorise without segmenting, but I would expect a popular new game to have enough interest to make it worth having a specific site - within that site, the tags could be for modding, achievements, tactics, walkthroughs etc.
Likewise one site could cover a whole series, e.g. "EvilOverflow" for the Resident Evil games.
I'd expect this to be one of the uses of an open sourced SO - or possibly StackExchange. Definitely better to get it maintained by the community around that game rather than by Jeff et al.
I think that an SO-variant for games would be quite successful - especially since you could generate revenue through targeted advertising. Based on which questions people answer, upvote, or read, you could deliver ads for games that match the genres that they like.
Hmmm, I should probably patent that idea...
There is a StackExchange site for gamers that has been up for a while: GameLegend. It's been having a very difficult time building a community so far. I've been trying my best, but I'm just one gamer.