I'm a moderator on Travel.SE who likes the yearly Winter Bash hats, but my actions aimed towards increasing my hat count caught the attention of one of our users in chat:
It isn't a good idea to game the system to get hats. It's supposed to be fun, not an excuse to game the system. Sorry for my tone but there's no other way to put this.
Therefore I wanted to clarify with the Community Moderators - what kind of actions are we allowed to take in order to gain a new Winter Bash hat? Specifically:
- Can I answer an old question (with a good answer!) specifically because doing so would gain me a hat?
- Can I create a new useful question and answer it, specifically because this gains me a hat?
- Can I ask others to take a look at the review queue, as successful reviews get you a hat?
- Can I add a comment on a post and ask others to upvote the comment?
- Can I ask someone to upvote my answer with 39 votes to gain a Guru badge, which in turn gives you a hat?
- Can I ask for a "temporary" upvote - encouraging others to take back the vote after I gain the hat?
- Can I ask others to star my message in chat?
I'm primarily looking for an official guidance from the Community team, but others are of course free to comment with their views on the subject.