Short summary for short attention-spans:
- Read answers below, vote them up or down based on how they align with your own perspective.
- Write your own answer to the question, What change has the company made to Stack Exchange in the past year that will have the greatest long-term impact?
- Summarize the change - it can be anything the company has done: feature work, policy changes, posts or even a favorite hat.
- Write up your rationale: what effect has the change had thus far, and why you expect it to have a significant impact in the future.
- It's fine to write about a change that someone else has already written about. But only if your rationale is unique!
- The nominal "winner" is the author of the answer with the highest score by the end of Feb 28, 2021 (UTC). The reward is a Stack Exchange messenger bag / laptop purse - unused, slightly dusty. I'll commit to sending it anywhere in the world that I can buy postage for.
Details & motivation
I've been... Kinda negative here lately, and it's pissing me off. Writing about that blog post the other day reminded me that I take a lot more pleasure in writing about the things that have gone well than in those things which didn't.
I think it's healthy to take pleasure in things that have gone well, especially as a group.
Six months ago, I tried a little exercise in reflection, with the intent of encouraging others to do the same. But frankly... It was a slog, and I'm not too surprised that no one else took the bait.
So I thought, why not do this the Meta Stack Exchange way: competing answers with opinionated essays!
Also, I found some unused swag in my closet, and needed an excuse to get rid of it.
I'm not a huge contest person, but... I think they can be enjoyable, as long as we all remember that it's just a game and the real winners are the folks who benefit from the insights produced during the exercise.
So, if you've ever wanted to own a nice Timbuk2 bag with the Stack Exchange logo on it, now's the chance to put your Keyboard Warrior skills to work!
Let's have some fun... I've posted my answer below as an example, but it will not be eligible to win. I'll post results at the end of February!