Today we changed the way we sort answers on Stack Overflow. We no longer pin the accepted answer (with the green checkmark) to the top of the list of answers. By default, we now sort strictly by votes (descending order by highest score), and the accepted answer's order in the list is based on its score.
The history of feature requests to unpin the accepted answer on Stack Overflow dates back to 2013 and has been raised almost every year since. This year within the Outdated Answers project we did research that showed that we are good to proceed with the accepted answer unpinned.
Would you like to have the accepted answer unpinned on your site?
We can change the way the engine sorts answers in site settings. We would like to hear from you all if it is something you want to see on your site. (Please let me acknowledge in advance that we will not be able to run a test on each site.)
Currently we are planning to move forward with one of two scenarios, based on your feedback:
- Unpin the accepted answer on all SE sites by default and pin it back on a few sites that ask us to do so.
- Keep the accepted answer pinned on all SE sites by default and unpin it on a few sites that ask us to do so.
Please let us know what you think will work best for your site! If you can discuss this question with your community it would be awesome. We are going to collect feedback before the end of September 19th.
Site settings are per-site and child metas are also considered a "site".
As Anita Taylor shared:
The Public Platform team will go through these requests and determine what to prioritize, defer and decline. We ask for your patience -- key members of the team are on vacation over the next few weeks, so we won't be able to triage these requests until mid-to-late October.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Seeing that some sites do not want to unpin the accepted answer, we decided to move forward with the status quo and not to change the default behaviour on existing sites. If you think unpinning the accepted answer on your site makes sense, please do the following:
- Start a meta discussion on your per-site meta.
- When the discussion is completed and the community agrees to change the default behaviour (agrees to unpin the accepted answer), please ask one of the site moderators to add the status-review tag to the question. It will generate a ticket and let CMs know that we need to adjust the site setting for your site.
- We would appreciate it if you add the outcome of the discussion to the accepted answer in this question. This will allow all of us to see the full picture.
There's no need to do this on the sites that are currently on the list; we have already adjusted the site setting for them.
[Click here to jump to the accepted answer.](link)."