I just noticed that there's a tag on MSE called blocked that's currently on 36 questions. It has no tag wiki/excerpt, and the name is unhelpfully generic/vague as well. As such, it seems like this tag shouldn't stick around in its current form.
At a glance, it looks like most of the posts that currently have this tag are about a variety of different things:
- question/answer bans – those questions should probably have the post-ban tag instead
- IP address bans – should have the ip-ban tag instead
- SE sites being blocked by ISPs/security tools/etc. – not sure if there's a tag for these types of questions
- maybe a question or two about blocked text/user input – should have the blocklist tag instead
- assorted other topics...?
In general, it doesn't seem like there's a benefit to keeping the blocked tag around in its current state. There is not one existing tag it completely matches/overlaps with, so it can't simply be merged into another tag. As such, it seems like each question would need to be manually retagged (at least, until the only questions remaining with the tag fit the scope of an existing tag, at which point it could be merged with that one).
This is too big a project to undertake myself, and I'm not entirely sure what should be done with some of the questions. As such, this seems like something the community should handle collectively.
Should the blocked tag on MSE be eliminated?