0

This feature request is regarding this question on the response to moderator's message:

  • Add a small message box for the user to either tick or type a quick message back to acknowledge the moderator's message on the message and let the moderator know that the user has read and understood their message

Note that opening the page does not mean users have read the message.

New contributor
DialFrost is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

2 Answers 2

11

There is no need. Moderators already can see when you've read your message in the mod-message UI. It looks something like this:

enter image description here

Anything else would just add noise, so it's better to stick with the existing functionality.

3
  • 1
    Not really. One can click the link to the message, but never actually read it. This isn't very reliable. And users who actually send response like "OK, got it" making the actual "noise" as they have no way to know the moderator can see they viewed the private message. May 13 at 19:48
  • 2
    @ShadowWizardSaysNoMoreWar One can click a button, but never actually read the message either. Or write a response, you'd be surprised what we get sometimes...And yes, that's why I'm not suggesting to just type something like Glorfindel. The option to type (that the post asks for) is already there too, but using it for that would is just noise. Best way to show you've read a message and understood is to act accordingly. Not to press a button or send an 'okay, got it' reply
    – Tinkeringbell Mod
    May 13 at 20:09
  • 1
    Well, technically I envision this as checkbox with caption like "I have read and acknowledged the message", not a button. Like the checkbox you get when installing programs. But you have a point, even if one would tick that, we can't know they actually read or understood anything, however chances they did are still better. May 13 at 20:16
8

♦ moderators can already see if (and when) the user first read the message. The messages are written in such a way that we expect them to be read and understood, and there will be consequences if not (and the behaviour continues).

And it's always fine to respond with something like "OK, I understand" or just "Thanks" - there's no character limit or such.

4
  • 3
    Opening a page does not mean the content of that page is read
    – VLAZ
    May 13 at 7:40
  • 7
    Well that's the users fault really. I don't feel we have to cater to that. If they forget about it thats their own problem.
    – Luuklag
    May 13 at 7:47
  • 3
    @Luuklag I don't really think an acknowledgement is useful. But wanted to put a reminder since there is an indicator that the message is "read" the system is most likely not reading the mind of the user and thus the information is inaccurate.
    – VLAZ
    May 13 at 7:51
  • 4
    It's accurate, say, 95% of the time. The other 5% are exceptions, and moderators are supposed to be exception handlers :P
    – Glorfindel Mod
    May 13 at 7:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .