In relation to an ongoing election, this post was mentioned: Include information about elections in the newsletter. One of the tags on that question is newsletter, which is a synonym of community-digests.
I have noticed that:
- Searching for [election] "cast your vote" shows this question among the results.
- But if I replace the election with newsletter or community-digests, that question is no longer among the results.
- Trying newsletter "cast your vote" returns some results, including the question mentioned above - here I am searching for the word newsletter, not within the posts tagged newsletter.
Is this caused by the tag synonym?
Personally I would consider this a bug. (I'd expect that the two synonymized tags should behave more or less equivalently. At least, I would expect that one of the two searches should return this question.)
I am aware that I can find posts with the tag newsletter using SEDE and in the same way I could search for a specific string in the given tag. However, it would be more natural to have a possibility to find such post using the search function on the site.
After a recent conversation in chat it seems that I should probably clarify the question a bit. I might be wrong, but it seems to me, that problem like this happens in the following situations:
- The post was tagged with a tag.
- The synonym was created later (and the synonymized tag wasn't merged into the master tag).
- And the post wasn't edited since then - so it still has the "old" tag.
Here are some other examples from this site I was able to find. (The links are always first to searches with the two synonymized tags and then for some other tag.)