Over the past few days, I have come across several users who are in the Network-wide Leaderboard but have no hats shown in their activity page (i.e. no beanie on their activity page on a site where I have an account).
Presumably, these users opted-out of hats unless there's some other bug involved here.
It was confirmed during WB2014 that those who opted out of Winter Bash will not be shown on the leaderboard.
If by that logic a user doesn't participate on a particular site, then behind the scenes we still record what hats they deserve, but these are not surfaced in any way. In particular, on the given site
- the user doesn't see people wearing hats
- the user doesn't wear a hat
- the user doesn't have hats in their profile on that site
- the user doesn't appear in that site's leaderboard
- the user's (deserved) hats do not count towards the site's Leaderboard position
Has anything changed?
Also, note that users who choose not to wear a hat but did not opt-out will still have a beanie on their Activity page that displays their list of hats when clicked.
I intentionally did not link to any specific users I came across in the Network-wide Leaderboard who opted out of hats as it wouldn't be nice to do so.