November 22, 2023: To help with internal managing issues, you may see a reference number added next to the status tag on your post. These numbers don't determine the order or priority of issues but will make it easier for internal staff to log and track progress.
Update (November 14th, 2023):
We rolled out the following fixes last week:
- Visited links have been made darker
- Adjusted the contrast on the right sidebar
- Visited links in the community bulletin have more contrast
- Corrected the color on the sidebar notice.
- The text color for unvisited and visited links has been corrected to be more obvious as to which is which.
We are continuing to review feedback and make adjustments based on that and will provide further updates as those are made.
First and foremost, I want to personally apologize for the amount of bugs that occurred due to this initiative. We have a retro planned and will work towards ensuring that this doesn't happen again. You can read more about those aforementioned updates in the original announcement.
Thanks to this community, we have caught a lot of bugs. Below is a list of the bugs that we have fixed and shipped:
- Moderator Tags: Darken type and border color
- Vote button selected state color
- Highlight color in achievement notifications are too dark
- Bounties count copy in dark mode is staying white
- Review queues tab using incorrect red in dark mode
- Portuguese SO dark mode rendering incorrectly
- Question author cards contrast missing
- Scroll bar not visible in dark mode
- Count of CM escalations on user profile is low contrast
- Link text is low contrast against new contributor indicator
- Topbar in chat.se makes username and mod links difficult to see
- Increase saturation of dark mode (see below)
- Clicking on the meta link on any site meta besides MSE creates temporary grey box
- Watched tags contrast on RPG.se
- Related and Linked questions in sidebar not using variable white
- CopySnippet button should not be primary btn
These are things that we are actively thinking about:
- Visited links
- Should we add borders to regular tags
- Required tags should be less intrusive.
- Tag contrast on deleted posts
- Tag contrast on watched tags in dark mode
Update to Meta SE Theme
In response to zcoop98's post, we’ve made a change to the SE Meta theme link colors to add more contrast between visited and unvisited links. Below we break down the changes made.
default link color:
- original #4E82C2 vs new #4179BE
- we bumped the lightness by 3 so that we could have at least 70LC on a white background (this should be very subtle and almost unnoticeable)
hover link color:
- original #3969A4 vs new #325C90
- the new value is close to what the original visited color was, increasing the contrast as a middle stop
visited link color:
- original #36649D vs new #254874
- started from the increase amount we have for blue links on SO and increased that even a bit further
Updated Dark Mode
We have heard your feedback on the saturation of Dark mode. The original palette that was shared targeted a -70Lc, but we have lowered that to -60Lc in light of feedback. This is much closer to what was shared in round of feedback before launch. We value your feedback and hope that this strikes a better balance of hitting accessibility standards set out by the community while maintaining a pleasant experience.
If this dark mode is still too high in contrast for our default dark mode, we will need to rethink our alignment with APCA for dark mode.