Relating to this discussion, what are the possible positive effects of venture capital funding for Stack Overflow?
They will be able to afford to build a mobile version of StackOverflow.
- They'd hire a real server admin, rather than needing developers standing in as server admins. Not that the team has done a bad job, but there have been some avoidable outages.
- A development database that doesn't live on the production server.
- Connections needed to force advertisers to give SO a second look who currently pass it over because they don't allow animated/flash ads. It'd be nice to see some of the ad dollars from the VS2010 launch campaign make it's way to SO, for example.
- Money to promote serverfault a little better.
- More user profile customization
Finally, if they really want to "raise the level of discourse on the entire internet", they're gonna have to compete with phpBB on price at some point. And that means a version that can be hosted on a php server. And that means a re-write, or at least parallel implementation. I don't think mono will cut it for that crowd. I'm skeptical of the idea that php hosts are really cheaper in a meaningful way (I can find asp.net hosting for $5/mo, just like php - or even free from time to time), but the perception exists.