While perusing the ambiguous language tag (1/3 of the way through right now!), I checked out what tags we currently have with either "language", "lang", or "lingu" in them. One of the ones that caught my eye was which-language (27). They're all questions about "Which programming language should I use for this project?" Do we think it is better to keep this kind of tag, or should it be reassigned to, say, programming-languages? All 27 currently tagged are about programming languages specifically.

We already have question-descriptive tags that apply to the nature of the question itself rather than the problem raised in the question. Probably the most well-known one is the subjective tag. There is merit to keeping these kind of tags if they are a prevalent class of questions; it would be useful for specific classes of question that could probably benefit from being grouped together. However, the decision of whether a question class is prevalent enough is bigger than one person can make. Care needs to be exercised to prevent a growing snowball of tags resulting things in like what-is-this and how-do-i, which in turn means tags will lean away from actually describing the problem itself.


While we're at it, the related language-choice (15) is 40% questions that would be which-language, and in review of the other 60%, I'm also concerned about its status as a tag.

closed as off-topic by CRABOLO, Infinite Recursion, Braiam, rene, Aziz Shaikh Jan 8 '15 at 9:55

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question pertains only to a specific site in the Stack Exchange Network. Questions on Meta Stack Exchange should pertain to our network or software that drives it as a whole, within the guidelines defined in the help center. You should ask this question on the meta site where your concern originated." – CRABOLO, Infinite Recursion, Braiam, rene, Aziz Shaikh
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


After looking through some of the questions tagged [which-language], I'm not a big fan. There are a few decent questions that might be of general interest (e.g., What programming language will enable me to enter a very long number without converting it to floating point?), but many of these questions amount to "What language should I learn next?" I think a lot of the questions should be closed and the tag merged into [programming-languages].

As for question-descriptive tags, like [subjective], I've never really thought they had much use except something to add to my Ignore list. I know it's impossible to get rid of now, but I'd really like to see the use of that tag and many like it reduced.

  • I, too, dislike [subjective] (it's a dependent-adjective that refers to only the question, so double negatives!), but it is way too large and prevalent to consider removing. As I go through the [language], should I flag the questions which would classify as [which-language]? – Grace Note May 18 '10 at 13:49
  • Yes, you can flag those and I'll take a look at them. – Bill the Lizard May 18 '10 at 14:06
  • I agree with you but have used up my upvotes for the day. (And it's only 10am!) – The Unhandled Exception May 18 '10 at 14:07

should it be reassigned to, say, [programming-languages]?

I'd say yes, especially as [programming-languages] is already in use for such questions.

  • "Yes" isn't an answer to an "Option A or Option B?" question! – Grace Note May 18 '10 at 13:42
  • Sorry, still having my mind half on my work ;) – Georg Fritzsche May 18 '10 at 13:43
  • 2
    @ccornet: Yes it is. It means at least one of the options is true. – balpha May 18 '10 at 13:57

I agree with Bill, the [which-language] tag is not very useful. I think such questions should probably be tagged with some combo like [programming-languages] [discussion] or [programming-languages] [suggestion]

  • 1
    [discussion] and [suggestion] are meta-tags. They're fine (even necessary) for this site, but I wouldn't want to use them on any of the main trilogy sites. – Bill the Lizard May 18 '10 at 14:25
  • I agree that they belong on meta, but [discussion] is used 500+ times on SO... – The Unhandled Exception May 18 '10 at 14:53
  • @Bill: I guess the problem is, "which language to use" is probably going to be subjective, it's asking for suggestions and will cause a discussion... – The Unhandled Exception May 18 '10 at 14:54
  • You're right. I hadn't noticed that tag was already so prevalent. :( – Bill the Lizard May 18 '10 at 15:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .