Recently I wondered about a webcam on my laptop; about the driver problem with it and about all stuff related to devices and hardware. I see, that the Stack Exchange network has Q&A about: programming and servers mostly, but what about hardware specifically?
Is there or will there be a Stack Website just for hardware? About: HDD, RAM, CPU, motherboards, graphic cards, etc.?

I hope I don't repeat an already asked question, but since there is no distinct answer for it I asked it as I see it.

  • 1
    There are some proposals for pages at area51 (see link at the bottom of the page). StackExchange will be a collection of community driven Q&A sites, and there will be more and more of them. Maybe one or a few will fit what you are looking for. Follow and commit to them to get them started.
    – malach
    Commented Jul 22, 2010 at 11:23

3 Answers 3


Let me introduce you to Super User! Extract from the FAQ:

What kind of questions can I ask here?

Super User is for computer enthusiasts and power users. If you have a question about...

  • computer hardware
  • computer software

and it is not about...

  • videogames or consoles
  • websites or web services like Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress
  • electronic devices, media players, cell phones or smart phones, except insofar as they interface with your computer
  • a shopping or buying recommendation

… then you're in the right place to ask your question!

  • Ok, but what if it is situated with further decision on buying that device. Also I met all hardware, that includes smart phones, some of the electronic devices (not some old black and white TVs of course). What if there are such questions?
    – Eugene
    Commented Jul 22, 2010 at 10:00
  • 1
    @Eugene - There are better sites than a Q&A for shopping recommendations, smart phones should go to gadgets.stackexchange.com, and for the rest, feel free to create your own proposal, as I can't find such proposal for now: area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/create. It's a bit wide, though, in my opinion.
    – Gnoupi
    Commented Jul 22, 2010 at 11:20
  • Ok and where might go questions about drivers and all what I mentioned earlier? To Super User?
    – Eugene
    Commented Jul 23, 2010 at 5:35
  • @Eugene - computer hardware => Super User.
    – Gnoupi
    Commented Jul 23, 2010 at 7:37
  • @Gnoupi Would questions about printers/scanners be relevant on this site? Commented Sep 25, 2012 at 4:19
  • 2
    @AndersonGreen - this most likely falls under computer hardware, so yes. As long as it's not a question about which one to buy.
    – Gnoupi
    Commented Sep 25, 2012 at 13:19

If you're looking to buy new hardware, rather than technical support for existing hardware, you can ask at Hardware Recommendations.

You must be looking for a recommendation of new hardware; the site doesn't do

  • compatibility queries
  • technical support
  • troubleshooting

You should also have some specific requirements in mind so that the pool of possible solutions can be narrowed down enough.

Source: I'm a HR mod.


Server Fault has also a hardware tag. Seems to be mainly about disks / switches / fire.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .