What happens, over time, when you post a bad answer on StackOverflow?
Assume someone posted a question that would accumulate:
- Two down votes per hour
- One up vote per hour
- One flag per day
Exactly how would that pan out, over time?
- After an hour, your score is -2, then you get 1 upvote (for a score of -1), do you get +10 for that upvote?
- Instead, is your total rep score just: (-2 * SCORE) when negative and (+10 * SCORE) when positive?
- You get the Peer Pressure badge for deleting your post when it has -3 votes. Is it a good practice to delete questions as soon as they get -2 votes?
- What happens after you delete it, say once it's at -12?
- Do the -24 rep points get returned to you?
- Do you get any reputation points for deleting it?
- Or when you delete an answer is it as though it never happened?
- Once it's auto-deleted (for being flagged by 6 people), you lose 100 rep. Is this in addition to the rep you lost for the downvotes? So would an auto-deleted post with a -12 score yeild a loss of -124 rep?
Recently, I answered a question and included a lighthearted joke that took a shot at Apple. Instantly, it received down votes, accumulating a total score around -12 in 48 hours. This really surprised me so I just watched it, fascinated at how it all worked.
After a while, a more experienced user recommended that I delete the question stating that it currently had two flags and if it got 4 more, then it would be automatically deleted and I would lose 100 reputation!
So I deleted the post. This earned me the Peer Pressure badge and removed all references to the question from my profile/controlPanel area. In fact, I had to do a search just to find the question again because all references in my profile to activity involving that question were gone. When I visited https://stackoverflow.com/reputation, I couldn't see any information about losing rep. However, my rep score seemed to still reflect -24 points. It's hard to tell exactly what happened. So I figured I'd ask here, what happens over time as a bad answer get's down voted and flagged and ultimately deleted?