Ban URL shorting services from being used in questions/answers. I have three major reasons to request this:
- It's abused to hide LMGTFY-Links (interestingly, this behavior ranges from the 20 rep Newcomer to the 50K User)
- It's used for inlined links, which negatively affects usability (I can't see where the link is taking me)
- It's used instead of proper formatting
As requested by ChrisF, a few examples of misuse (all removed by now):
- I need to convert my Mysql database to SQL Server 2005 database
- Is Making a DLL compatible to all database is good idea
- How to generate XML from an Excel VBA macro?
- Recommendation on big integer calculation library.
- import email from gmail
Update as of 19th Aug '13: In the light of the recent spam attacks on several SE sites, Id' like to suggest to reconsider the stance on this.
Those spam attacks are mostly enabled by the fact that the spammers can hide behind shortened URLs (goo.gl in this case), making blacklisting of the original URL impossible. Banning at least the most well-known services would force spammers to use their original URL (or would block the attack as a whole), making it easier to directly target them.