Possible Duplicate:
Keyboard Glyphs

I got an answer with some cool keystroke formatting, but I don't see how to do it on the markdown reference, or the more detailed markdown reference -- maybe I just missed it. I don't have enough rep on superuser to have access to an edit option, so I can't see the source for the answer.

How do I make those cool key stroke combinations in markdown?

  • 6
    Try hitting down, down-forward, forward and then hitting Enter. – Grace Note ModStaff Nov 16 '10 at 22:27
  • 7
    Speaking seriously, it's <kbd>Key</kbd>, as detailed here. See also this request suggesting to add this into the markdown reference. – Grace Note ModStaff Nov 16 '10 at 22:28
<kbd>shift</kbd> + <kbd>command</kbd> + <kbd>3</kbd>



  • 11
    <kbd>kbd</kbd> should work in comments as well. – rid Nov 6 '11 at 3:12
  • 4
    @rid It seems not to? – Mark Amery Oct 3 '13 at 13:05
  • 1
    <kbd>check</kbd> – Mark Lakata Jun 17 '15 at 22:50
  • 1
    Nope, <kbd> in comments doesn't do anything. – Mark Lakata Jun 17 '15 at 22:50
  • 1
    This should really be in the editing help. – Raphael Dec 21 '16 at 8:52
  • 1
    Works in Github markdown as well. – Dominik Apr 9 '18 at 12:41

As a note, you don't need edit privileges to view the source of an answer or question.

Simply go to the revisions of an answer/question which in this case is:



then click view source and it will display the actual source of the answer/question:

<kbd>shift</kbd>+<kbd>command</kbd>+<kbd>3</kbd> will work if you have escaped your VirtualBox and places the screen shot on your Mac's desktop. You could also use or <kbd>shift</kbd>+<kbd>command</kbd>+<kbd>4</kbd> which gives you a cross-hair to select the area you want to capture.

  • 2
    Only works when you have the access right to edit a answer. – powtac Jul 8 '11 at 0:09

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .