On the Audio and Music Meta, people are requesting the ability to embed audio into posts, this would be useful for the asker to let us hear audio he is having a problem with and good for us to easily give examples.
This lead to a embedded audio player request on the audio meta and music meta but we think that it might be the wrong place to ask it there, which leads to this question: Could an embedded audio player be provided?
I'm thinking of the following features:
- Given a link to a supported format (wav, mp3, ogg, ...) you can play, pause and skip in the sample.
- No automatic play, would be disturbing as there could be multiple on a page.
- No preloading (don't deliver data the user doesn't want)
- Perhaps caching the start so it start playing quick.
- Either an in-line link which results in an audio player popping up in a convenient location,
or a player that doesn't share any text on the same line and thus is in it's own paragraph.
The most convenient way to type this, is simply typing an auto-converting link just like YouTube embeds:
This might be useful for other sites too;
and maybe allow video towards the future, perhaps a line that contains the title of the video and if you click it slides down an embedded video player.
If necessary, for hot-linking, a FAQ item with recommended hosting sites for audio files could be listed