Hide the rep and badge count on a user's info box on answers
I think there is a bias on up votes in answers for people who have more reputation. Perhaps someone with more brain could prove this but I've definitely observed it.
So I suggest hiding reputation under user names until an answer is accepted, or perhaps just for the hot period where most reputation is generated (1 hour or so).
- Reputation is more likely to be awarded to the best answers
- Levels the playing field
- Removes the influence of reputation on up-votes
- Encourages better content
- Discourages complacency amongst regular answerers
- People like showing off their reputation (feel good factor)
- Reputation is an indicator of answer credibility in some cases
Infact, there surely is a good case to hide everything about an answerer (unless you are a moderator). Removes the "Jon Skeet has posted an answer so there's not much point me writing one now" factor. I'm not saying this should be done permanently, but just during the hot period.
The focus becomes on answer content this way.