Recently more users with low/no accept rate are asking questions, I think displaying a simple message to the users telling them they should accept answers to their existing questions and outline the benefits:
- Other users are more likely to answer your questions, and faster
- You will get extra reputation
- It's like saying thank you to the person who gave you the answer
- You'll help other people who come across your question, by showing them the best answer
- It only takes a couple of seconds
Also on this alert page (similar to if you click ask a question when your logged out) it should show a list of answers that user has not accepted an answer on.
Maybe it would be an idea to increase the reputation earned for users with low/or only no accept rate when the accept an answer, to say 5.
- 76% of questions that have at least 1 answer have an accepted answer.
- 63% of all questions have an accepted answer
- 254,000 questions (out of questions with at least 1 answer) don't have an accepted answer.
- 494,000 questions (out of all questions) don't have an accepted answer
- Basically over a third of questions don't have an accepted answer