I will start with the question/discussion topic then follow with what motivated me to post this.
How can it be that ordinary member of the community with valid existing questions and activity suddenly disappear without leaving any trace he/she ever existed?
By disappearing I mean that Questions/Answers/Comments that member had are gone and the profile page give back Page Not Found.
Account deleted? Can't explain how the questions disappeared with all their answers.... deleted account just cause the question author name to become grey and unclickable.
What motivated me to ask this is the following:
- Yesterday someone posted here on Meta bug report, client side script error in IE7 browser that happens in the chat area.
- I have verified the bug, posted some details as Answer and even got comment that moderator was working on the problem.
- Couple of hours later the bug report changed to status-completed and indeed, the bug was fixed.
- The member who reported the above bug reported another one, again with IE7 this time about image upload.
- After long comments discussion it was concluded that IE7 is not well supported and this time the bug is not going to be fixed. Fair enough.
- Couple of hours after my last activity in that second bug report I suddenly noticed the Question got deleted "For moderation reasons". Same all his other questions including the above bug report that was verified and fixed. The user account itself vanished into the 404 void.
What could be so horrible to deserve such a thing? Suppose he violated rules or posted inappropriate contents - there is the Suspension Box for such cases, isn't it?
And even if his account got deleted by his own request, why delete all his posts and valid contents?
Hope someone can shed some light both on the specific case (those who should surely know I mean) and on the topic in general, as it really baffles me.