Where is the right place to post questions pertaining to building computer systems and related hardware components?

  • 2
    See superuser.com/faq Hardware is on topic there, but not buying recommendations, etc.
    – jonsca
    Jul 12, 2011 at 12:32

3 Answers 3


Super User.

From the FAQ:

Super User is for computer enthusiasts and power users. If you have a question about …

  • computer hardware
  • computer software
  • I just asked a question on superuser after reading this answer and I think it will be closed :(
    – Vikas
    May 6, 2021 at 2:29
  • @Vikas - it's probably because people think that your question is asking for opinions rather than a concrete answer.
    – ChrisF Mod
    May 6, 2021 at 13:14
  • but I think it isn't opinion based. Either you can build a pc like that or you can't? No?
    – Vikas
    May 6, 2021 at 13:32

Super User is the place for you, though you should peruse the Help Center first. In general, hardware questions will be on topic for SU as long as you're not looking for

a shopping or buying recommendation

Of course, if you mean building as in building from transistors and diodes, then you probably want Electronics, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.


Super User is our site for computer hardware and software, so it should be a perfect fit there. A cursory search yields thousands of results blindly, most of which do appear to deal with building the machine (rather than, say, code builds or summat). The closed questions are closed not for being off-topic, but for other reasons. So as long as you have a solid question to ask on your hardware, you'll be fine at Super User. ♪

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .