When I'm asking a new question, the first thing I do is fill out the title field. But by doing so, the title of the page as shown by my web browser is changed to the title I entered instead of the generic
Ask a Question - [Site Name].
Why is this a problem?
After the question is submitted, the new question will have the same exact title that was used when composing the question. This causes a name conflict when viewing my browsing history and I will see two links with the same name but go to different pages (the ask page and the actual question page).
Consider the use case:
- I want to ask a new question so I open a tab and post it
- After posting, I watch the question waiting for any answers
- If no answers come up, I'll close the tab and find something else to do
- Later on, I'll want to revisit the question again so I open up another tab and start typing the title of my question.
- Usually I would _expect_ the question to be the first listed page by my browser's history so I open the first page that shows up.
As it turns out, the
Ask a Question page will be opened since it had the same exact title as the original question. Not what I expected.
I know that it's just a minor issue, but I think it would be helpful, not just for me but for the site in general.