When a close vote expires, it can no longer be re-cast.
This didn't use to be the case: back when close votes always expired in 4 days, you could re-cast your close vote after it had expired. This behavior was unintended, and now you only get a single chance at voting to close.
This is no good outside the fast-paced world of high-volume tags on the Trilogy. On a typical SE2.0 site, here's what happens:
- A poor question is posted. Comments tell the OP to improve the question because it's unanswerable in its present form.
- A couple of people cast close votes. Less than 5, so the question remains open.
- The OP never improves the question.
- The question gets more than 100 views over time, because it has a promising title.
- At some point the question resurfaces. The people who cast the close votes in #2 want to close it for good, but they can't cast a close vote now.
Please allow the closers to re-cast their votes at #5. This may have been unintended behavior before, but it was the right behavior.
(Note that this is not about close/reopen wars. The question has not been closed at any point.)