For questions about the various April Fools pranks that Stack Exchange implements. Please check if your question has already been asked first!
No, this is not a tag for anyone to come along and post their own April Fools pranks, jokes, or other random things on April 1. This tag is specifically for the things that Stack Exchange itself implements to celebrate April 1st, or suggesting ideas for them to implement on the next one.
There's only one April 1st per year, and chances are that if you're coming here on that day with a question about some absurd new feature, it's probably already been discussed. Please look at the newest questions for the tag before asking your question.
List of pranks and related tags:
Tags typically created around April Fools Day of the year they correspond to:
- April Fools Day 2009: Cornify (no related tag)
- April Fools Day 2010: Unicorn avatars (no related tag)
- April Fools Day 2011: Unicorn voting animations (no related tag)
- April Fools Day 2012: Clippycorn clippycorn
- April Fools Day 2013: Chat with an Expert (no related tag)
- April Fools Day 2014: unicoins
- April Fools Day 2015: stackegg
- April Fools Day 2016: unikong
- April Fools Day 2017: Dance Dance Authentication (no related tag)
- April Fools Day 2018: quack-overflow
- April Fools Day 2019: time-travel-mode
- April Fools Day 2021: the-key
- April Fools Day 2022: Filters (no related tag)
A 2020 prank was cancelled as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, though the day was used to promote the rollout of the new dark mode feature on Stack Overflow.