Updated below with a detailed evolution demonstrating how the content spammers operate.
- First they posted simple links to router-switch.com, until we blacklisted the domain
- Then they built other domains to sell the same products (Dec 2013)
- Next they started hyperlinking to content spam on various online blogs, VMWare support forums, etc... <--- current state of affairs as of January 2014
NOTE: The spammers used to post exactly the same spam to all SE sites simultaneously. Now they post unique spam on each site. Please watch hyperlinks carefully.
First version of this meta post (historical info)
I'm getting a little annoyed with a particular Cisco reseller (router-switch.com), which seems to have hired a team of people to post content spam across stack exchange sites.
The first spam happened on 8 Nov 2013. We subsequently found more content spam from the same company a few days later, which was also destroyed.
I am posting this on meta, because router-switch.com is becoming more crafty in how they post spam; originally they posted questions about how to distinguish between various Cisco products. Now they simply embed their product sale links in innocent-looking answers.
The best way I've found to identify their posts is to look for
url:*router-switch.com in the search box of whatever Stack Exchange site you're interested in.
- url:*.router-switch.com on Server Fault (Currently finds posts as far back as Nov 18th)
- url:*.router-switch.com on Super User (Currently finds one post)
- url:*.router-switch.com on Stack Overflow
- url:*.router-switch.com on Security.SE (Currently finds one answer posted two hours ago)
- url:*.router-switch.com on NetworkEngineering.SE (I deleted spam posted a few hours ago)
When you find spam in these posts, flag it as spam. SE has special filters to process spam flags now, but we need your help. Downvotes are great, but are not sufficient to get moderator attention. Furthermore, when flags are validated as real spam, SE takes further action to ensure that spammer doesn't come back.