For any question I can view questions linked from/to it by from the url of the form:
https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/id where id stands for the number of question. If some question has many linked posts, then this link is even available - by clicking on "see more linked questions..." at the bottom of linked questions list.
When going to this link, you can see on the right: n questions linked to/from, where n should be the number of the questions shown on that page. (At least if I understand this correctly.) But often this seems not to be the case.
My question is:
- Is this a bug or is it intended behavior?
- Since the number of the questions is clearly different from the number of posts shown, what exactly this number means?
There was a post which seems related (or even duplicate?): Number of linked questions in the sidebar is incorrect: some posts are counted twice. I do not have sufficient reputation to see deleted posts, but I found this one using Google and I can still see some version of the post in Google Cache. I do not know to which extent this question was changed before it was deleted. But in the cached version I see as a suggested explanation that the questions which are linked as duplicates are for some reason counted twice. Is the same thing happening here? (This explanation is consistent with the numbers given in the examples I have listed below.)
Just a few random examples I was able to find (with the description how they behave at the moment, sorted by the id in the descending order). I should say that many of the questions I tried displayed the correct number.
- https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/267286 shows only one question but says that there are 2 questions
- https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/266287 shows only one question but says that there are 2 questions.
- https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/260862 shows only one question but says that there are 2 questions.
- https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/258768 shows only one question but says that there are 2 questions.
- https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/258761 shows only one question but says that there are 2 questions.
- https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/201574 shows only two questions but says that there are 3 questions.
- https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/193102 shows only one question but says that there are 2 questions.
One example from another site: https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/linked/1140396 shows only two questions but says that there are 4 questions. (Notice that both number and questions shown are changed after switching to to active tab, but the number is still incorrect. This is where are originally noticed this behavior.)